Image Map

Chalkboard Christmas Countdown


Hello there! I am really glad we had a week after Thanksgiving before the first of December, anything to stretch the Christmas season a little further.  Every year I want to make an advent calendar, I think they are so cute and there are so many creative ways to make them.  But, since I'm trying not to do too much this year, I made this simple chalkboard Christmas Countdown!  I just LOVE chalk art, I had so much fun this summer with Carter's sidewalk chalk, more fun that him probably. :)  
I have been wanting to make a chalkboard for our house for a while, and then I thought that making a chalkboard countdown would be easy and cheap, which it was because I had all the supplies on hand. Oh yea! 

I used, a frame, chalkboard paint, and a white paint pen.
I painted the glass of the frame with the chalk paint, doodled the "Days until Christmas" onto it and that was it! 
First I wrote the letters on a piece of paper just to practice and see how I wanted them to look.  Then used a pencil to lightly draw them on the chalkboard for a guide.  I like making letters like this because you don't have to be that precise. 
I love how it turned out!
So we also started Elf on the Shelf this week, I have been dreaming of the day we could do it, since Carter was still a little to young to get it last year.  I had envisioned all the silly little set ups to do and Carter cracking up at the little Elf.  I hyped it up to Carter, saying Santa has a special book for him, etc.  I was so excited I just knew he would love it!
Well... as I was half was through the book, Carter looks concerned and shuts the book, saying I don't like this book and shaking his head.  
I'm like, why he's Santa's helper? 
Then his lip curls up and he starts to cry, saying I don't want him here! 
Jamie and I started laughing just because I had built it up so much, and Carter was the exact opposite of excited about it. Poor guy.
 My Elf on the Shelf dreams were crushed! LOL 
I guess the thought of a tiny Elf creeping in your house is a little scary, for Carter at least, I'm pretty sure he's the only kid in America that doesn't like it!  What I really think is that he just didn't want the Elf to tell Santa on him. Which makes it even more funny.
I just knew it would be a great bribing tool fun thing to do until Christmas! he he :)


Photobucket
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. LOL. That is too funny - your poor little guy! However, your chalkboard countdown is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still dying laughing over this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told my co-worker about your elf experience and he said his little boy was really creeped out by it too. Maybe Carter's cousins could tell him about their elf and get him more comfortable with the idea. Love the chalkboard countdown!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kimberly, I have lots of chalk boards to rewrite from Halloween. Love yours! Count down is a cool idea:) Following your blog now. Follow me too. I posted http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2012/12/upcycled-denim-christmas-stocking.html to craft-o-maniac monday:) So sorry about the elf let down. Kids are unpredictable:) Lots of other great books. Maybe he'll like the movie Elf?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute!! What a fun idea! Thanks for linking up at Artsy Corner :) Hope to see you again this week!

    You were featured today, so come grab a button!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is HILaRIOUS! I don't even have kiddos but also have dreamt of the day that I could do the whole Elf on the Shelf thing. It never even crossed my mind that it could come across as creepy!

    ReplyDelete